X-Treme Letdown.... boo.
Since I heard of the filming of X3, I had been waiting for this weekend to come- everyone knows that I'm an X-Junkie. Week after week, I read internet posts and other reports on what the current gossip about the movie was- who would they bring in when Bryan Singer was tapped for Superman and Wonder Woman, which characters are they going to bring in, what would the storyline be, etc. I remained really hopeful no matter what the press brought, positive or negative.
I saw the movie last night and my fears about the movie were brought to reality. While I understand that poetic license will occur in any book-to-movie, as could be seen in the first two movies- At least Singer remained loyal to the Marvel Universe. For example, X2 was based on a storyline arc, "God Loves, Man Kills" and remained fairly loyal to it. This third movie brought poetic license to a whole new level. The X3 storyline was a mish-mash of different ideas in the X-Universe. Not a coherent storyline, but one gigantic mix of characters, incomplete plotlines, and.. well.. just ideas that were given a blank slate, put together in a story and put on screen, with everyone just hoping for the best.
Thats what we got. Storylines including the "mutant cure" by Dr. Kavita Rao (yeah, I love the actress who played her, Shohreh Agdashloo), Dark Phoenix- 95% of the storyline not given, Rogue and her personal problems with her powers, Angel and the Worthington family, the Callisto/Storm rivalry... I could keep going on with these but this still needs to be readable.
And the characters. Very little character development. I can understand that they needed some mutant fodder, but gave no previous info on them. Arclight- a Marauder. Quill- a student at Xavier's. Spike- Evolution cartoon character and later X-Force/X-Tatix. Callisto- Morlock, and that half-wasn't her power. They even had Kitty and Colossus in the movie and they did NOTHING with their comic book relationship. That was extremely disappointing.
This was just a big action movie for action-movie sake. It was a good movie if you know NOTHING about the X-Men, Marvel Comics, and were just looking for a ton of explosions and special effects. Though I surprisingly did like Kelsey Grammer as Beast, even though I thought it was a bad idea.
I saw the movie last night and my fears about the movie were brought to reality. While I understand that poetic license will occur in any book-to-movie, as could be seen in the first two movies- At least Singer remained loyal to the Marvel Universe. For example, X2 was based on a storyline arc, "God Loves, Man Kills" and remained fairly loyal to it. This third movie brought poetic license to a whole new level. The X3 storyline was a mish-mash of different ideas in the X-Universe. Not a coherent storyline, but one gigantic mix of characters, incomplete plotlines, and.. well.. just ideas that were given a blank slate, put together in a story and put on screen, with everyone just hoping for the best.
Thats what we got. Storylines including the "mutant cure" by Dr. Kavita Rao (yeah, I love the actress who played her, Shohreh Agdashloo), Dark Phoenix- 95% of the storyline not given, Rogue and her personal problems with her powers, Angel and the Worthington family, the Callisto/Storm rivalry... I could keep going on with these but this still needs to be readable.
And the characters. Very little character development. I can understand that they needed some mutant fodder, but gave no previous info on them. Arclight- a Marauder. Quill- a student at Xavier's. Spike- Evolution cartoon character and later X-Force/X-Tatix. Callisto- Morlock, and that half-wasn't her power. They even had Kitty and Colossus in the movie and they did NOTHING with their comic book relationship. That was extremely disappointing.
This was just a big action movie for action-movie sake. It was a good movie if you know NOTHING about the X-Men, Marvel Comics, and were just looking for a ton of explosions and special effects. Though I surprisingly did like Kelsey Grammer as Beast, even though I thought it was a bad idea.

3 Comments:
Well at least it's done and over with. Now we can just wait for Superman Returns and the memory of X-Men The *Crap* Stand will be wiped clean. Serena says they should wait ten years and re-do it like they did Batman, cause pretty much the X-men Film Legacy is over with. Booyah, gran-ma.
OR they could've just made Cyclops: The Movie....I would've paid 10 bucks to see that action.
Good review of the movie. My sentiments exactly.
Post a Comment
<< Home